Nailing the perfect Thanksgiving is downright difficult. Between picky eaters, dietary restrictions and a new focus on serving better-for-you options, finding the right foods has never been more important.
Clean eaters still focused on quenching their sweet tooth are in luck this holiday season. Simple Mills has created a slew of Thanksgiving recipes which range from a twist on old favorites, to right out of a millennial’s mind.
· Simple Pumpkin Pie
· Pumpkin Pizza/Flatbread
· Harvest Spiral Veggie Tart
· Garlic/Sage Biscuits
Simple Pumpkin Pie
This pie is Gluten-free; free of Grains, Soy, Corn, Dairy & Gums/Emulsifiers
Pie Crust Ingredients:
1 box Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix
1/2 cup grape seed, coconut oil, or ghee (or melted butter if no dairy allergies)
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
Pie Filling Ingredients:
1 15 oz can cooked pumpkin
1 cup full-fat coconut milk
3 cage free eggs
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Mix all ingredients until they come together to form a ball
3. Press by hand across the bottom and up the sides of a 9.5” or 10” pie plate
4. Press around top edge of crust with a fork
5. Bake crust at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes
6. While crust is baking, mix filling ingredients in a mixing bowl until smooth using a stick or traditional blender, or hand mixer
7. Pour into baked crust, making sure not to cover the fork marks
8. Bake pie at 350°F for 30 – 35 minutes or until set in the middle. If crust starts to brown before filling is set, cover w/ foil for remainder of baking
9. Remove, cool and refrigerate for at least 6 hours
10. Cut into 6 or 8 slices and top with homemade whipped cream (heavy cream or coconut cream)
11. Garnish with ground cinnamon or a shake of pumpkin pie spice
*If you have any extra filling, pour it into individual ramekins and bake until set in the middle.
Savory Garlic/Sage Biscuits
These biscuits are Gluten-free; free of Grains, Soy, Corn and Lifeway Kefir is 99% Lactose -Free, Gluten Free and GMO Free.
1 Box Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix
1/2 cup Lifeway Organic Kefir
3/4 tsp granulated or garlic powder
1/3 tsp dried poultry seasoning
2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Combine wet ingredients in a bowl
3. Add in the dry ingredients
4. Drop by large mixing spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes
5. Remove from oven and serve warm
These festively savory biscuits are delicious served alongside any holiday meal or weeknight dinner!
Harvest Spiral Veggie Tart
This tart is Gluten-free; free of Grains, Soy, Corn, Dairy Free and Vegetarian Friendly.
1 recipe of Simple Mills Pizza Dough Mix
3/4 cup canned pumpkin (or 1.5 baked, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes)
2 large carrots (for these three veggies, try to find close to the same diameter so the slices are the same size)
1 large zucchini
1 large squash
1 small bunch of swiss chard or other quick-cooking green
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 tsp. each of dried thyme and sage
1/4 tsp. each sea salts and fresh ground pepper
1. Prepare the pizza crust per directions on box, pressed into a 9.5 or 10” pie or tart pan.
2. Use the tines of a fork to press the edges. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Then, PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees. Mix pumpkin or sweet potatoes with thyme, sage, sea salt and pepper. Spread mixture on bottom of crust.
4. Use a mandolin slicer (or vegetable peeler) to slice the carrots, squash and zucchini into thin strips about 1/8’ thick.
5. To fill the pie, roll strips of carrots together and press down into the center of the tart.
6. Layer strips of squash, zucchini and the remaining carrots around the center, until the crust is entirely filled.
7. Drizzle olive oil over the veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour (tenting with foil after 20 minutes to prevent burning) or until veggies are tender. Serve warm.
If dairy is tolerated, this savory pie would also be fantastic sprinkled with feta or goat cheese, or freshly-grated parmesan cheese after removing from oven, along with a dash of high-quality balsamic vinegar.
Pumpkin Crust Pizza/Flatbread
Something fun for the kids! Pizza on Thanksgiving??!? This recipe is gluten free and can be made dairy free by using a dairy-free cheese substitute.
Instructions: For a filling crust filled with beta-carotene, mix Simple Mills Pizza Dough Mix with 2/3 can of pumpkin puree and ½ tsp salt. No need to add the oil, water or apple cider vinegar.
Follow instructions for shaping and bake temperature/times, and add your favorite toppings!
Toppings: organic marinara sauce, arugula, organic shredded mozzarella cheese or a dairy free cheese substitute.
Simply Mills was launched in 2013 by Katlin Smith and specializes in natural baking mixes and crackers that combine whole food goodness with five-star taste and texture. All products are made with simple, clean, non-GMO, gluten-free ingredients with no artificial anything. Their products are certified gluten-free, paleo-friendly and free of grain, soy, artificial flavors or fillers. Ingredients like almond flour and coconut sugar lower the carbohydrate count and glycemic index to help support digestive health and minimize blood sugar impact. Recipes are also carefully crafted to keep sugar levels low, boost vitamin nad mineral content and produce a taste and texture worth of “wow”. For more recipes, information and where to buy go to www.simplemills.com.